Senior Safety Advisor
Job no: 579500
Work type: Maximum Term - Full Time
Categories: Work Health & Safety
- Key role to provide WHS advice and support to our stakeholders
- Progressive and inclusive Zero Harm Team
- Ongoing fulltime role until August 2024, based in Canberra
Downer Group employs approximately 50,000 people across more than 300 sites, primarily in Australia and New Zealand. Downer designs, builds and sustains assets, infrastructure and facilities and we are the leading provider of integrated services.
Downer Defence is the lead contractor providing Estate Maintenance and Operation Services for the Department of Defence in Queensland and Southern New South Wales. As lead contractor within the region we deliver a suite of services to support Defence capability.
About your role
Downer Group is the lead contractor for the Estate Maintenance and Operation Services to the Department of Defence in Queensland and Southern New South Wales. We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Senior Safety Advisor, who will be responsible for embedding the Zero Harm framework through Downer’s Defence portfolio as part of the works activities delivered to the Australian Defence Force.
Reporting to the General Manager Zero Harm, this role will be responsible for:
- Undertaking audits, site observations and other assurance activities at all on a weekly basis that demonstrate Zero Harm due diligence and compliance with legislated obligations in works activities.
- Coach, guide and mentor Service Delivery Partners as well as Projects & Operations Teams to ensure a strong, consistent and positive safety culture is in place.
- Engaging in, and contributing to, Pre-Start Meetings, Toolbox Talks, Risk Assessment Workshops, Inductions and Safety Stand-downs.
- Coordinate and deliver high quality weekly and monthly reports, briefs and correspondence for consideration by senior management.
- Lead and support incident investigations for activities in conjunction with the Zero Harm Team, Operations Teams and Service Line/Functional Support Team
- Support the Zero Harm Team in development and implementation of Downer Annual Zero Harm Assurance Plan with input from senior stakeholders, and report on compliance to the plan, including evidence management.
- Support the Downer Business in achievement of annual Zero Harm KPIs set.
- Encourage and drive line management willingness to comply with corporate Zero Harm guidelines and policies.
Skills and Experience
- Ability to obtain and retain a Defence Security Clearance (Australian Citizen)
- Degree qualification in Occupational Health and Safety and / or relevant discipline
- Demonstrable and successful Zero Harm experience / capability in a similar business environment with at least 5 years’ experience gained at this level.
- Demonstrated experience within the building/construction, civil works, utilities sectors or facilities maintenance business.
- Working knowledge and sound relationships with government authorities and third-party accreditation organisations.
- Strong systems knowledge to support safety standards and audits and to ensure that federal requirements and accreditations are achieved.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively build relationships with key stakeholders / clients, peers and colleagues.
- Well-developed organisational, administrative and time management skills, with an ability to proactively deliver upon multiple, competing priorities within established schedules.
- Current unrestricted Driver’s license
Benefits and Culture
- Supportive and inclusive culture
- A professional and safe working environment
- Good employee benefits and entitlements
This is a great opportunity to join a reputable company, work with an amazing team where you will be given the opportunity to develop your career.
To apply online please click the 'apply' button below.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications will not be accepted via email, please apply via the link.
- Screening will commence prior to the closing date
Please note: As a pre-requisite for these roles all candidates need to be able to prove they are an Australian Citizen and hold a current Australian Drivers Licence. Candidates will also be required to undertake a pre-employment medical and drug screen as well as a National Police and Australian Security Defence Clearance Check.
Downer Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages indigenous Australians to apply.
View Position Description
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend